Histopathological Evaluation of the Microtomy Artifacts on Haematoxylin and Eosin Section; Hospital Based Cross-Sectional Study

  • Oscar Ottoman Catholic University of Health and Allied Sciences
  • Shaban Urassa Catholic University of Health and Allied Sciences
  • Edrick Elias Catholic University of Health and Allied Sciences
  • Jeffer Bhuko Catholic University of Health and Allied Sciences
  • Aron O. Isay Central Pathology Laboratory department, Bugando Medical Centre
Keywords: Histopathology, Microtomy, Artifacts
Share Article:

Abstract

Background information: Microtomy artifacts are abnormal structures or features in histological slides resulting from tissue sectioning by microtome. Objective: To determine the type and prevalence of microtomy artifacts found in histopathological tissue sections slides at Bugando Medical Centre (BMC). Methodology: This was a cross-sectional observational study that involved 547 consecutive hematoxylins and eosin (H&E) stained sections of histological archived tissue slides of January 2021. The slides were retrieved from the archives of the histopathology laboratory at BMC, Mwanza Tanzania and analysed for artifacts under a light microscope. Results: A total number of 547 histopathological slides were retrieved for the study and 412 (75.3%) slides had microtomy artifacts present while the remaining 135 (24.7%) histopathological slides had no microtomy artifacts. Of 412 slides with microtomy artifacts, 204(49.5%) slides had only one type of microtomy artifacts while the remaining 208 (50.5%) slides had more than one type of microtomy artifacts. There was a total of 672 microtomy artifacts, and the majority 576 (85.7%) were due to section cutting, followed by trimming artifacts in 92 (13.69%) of the slides. The least artifact was floatation which was seen in 4 (0.6%) of the slides. For the floatation artifact, the folding artifact was the most commonly seen in 300(54.8%) of the slides. Conclusion: Higher prevalence of microtomy artifacts at BMC reflects the problem of interpretation of histopathological slides in our setting. Section folding artifacts were the most prevalent pattern of artifact observed in this study.

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.

References

S. Chatterjee, “Artefacts in histopathology”, J. Oral Maxillofac. Pathol., vol. 18, no. Suppl 1, pp. S111-6, 2014.

S. Rao, S. Masilamani, S. Sundaram, P. Duvuru, and R. Swaminathan, “Quality measures in pre-analytical phase of tissue processing: Understanding its value in histopathology”, J. Clin. Diagn. Res., vol. 10, no. 1, pp. EC07-11, 2016.

J. N. Iyengar, “Quality control in the histopathology laboratory: an overview with stress on the need for a structured national external quality assessment scheme”, Indian J. Pathol. Microbiol., vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 1–5, 2009.

S. Khan, M. Tijare, M. Jain, and A. Desai, “Artifacts in histopathology: A potential cause of misinterpretation”, Res Rev J Dent Sci, vol. 2, pp. 23-31, 2014.

P. K. Kiser, C. V. Löhr, D. Meritet, S. T. Spagnoli, M. Milovancev, and D. S. Russell, “Histologic processing artifacts and inter-pathologist variation in measurement of inked margins of canine mast cell tumors”, J. Vet. Diagn. Invest., vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 377–385, 2018.

S. Taqi, S. Sami, L. Sami, and S. Zaki, “A review of artifacts in histopathology”, J. Oral Maxillofac. Pathol., vol. 22, no. 2, p. 279, 2018.

K. S. Suvarna, C. Layton, and J. D. Bancroft, Bancroft’s theory and practice of histological techniques: Expert consult: Online and print, 7th ed. London, England: Churchill Livingstone, 2012.

M. Satapute, Shashikala, and K. Gu, “Artifacts: A menace in histopathology”, Int. J. Clin. Diagn. Pathol., vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 290–292, 2020.

D. J. Zegarelli, “Common problems in biopsy procedure”, J. Oral Surg., vol. 36, no. 8, pp. 644–647, 1978.

O. Igho and A. Aimakhume, “Artifacts in histology: A 1-year retrospective study,” Ann. bioanthropology, vol. 5, no. 1, p. 34, 2017.

S. Rafieyan, M. Farsadeghi, P. Firoozi, and M. Sokhansanj, “Frequency of different types of artifacts among oral and maxillofacial histopathological slides in Zanjan dental school from 2015 to 2017”, Avicenna J Dent Res, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 116–119, 2019.

L. Giari, C. Guerranti, G. Perra, M. Lanzoni, E. A. Fano, and G. Castaldelli, “Occurrence of perfluorooctanesulfonate and perfluorooctanoic acid and histopathology in eels from north Italian waters”, Chemosphere, vol. 118, pp. 117–123, 2015.

N. Karahi, F. Keshani, and M. Khosravian, “Analysis of artifacts in oral and maxillofacial histopathologic sections and related reasons”, Dent. Res. J. (Isfahan), vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 384–388, 2019.

Published
27 September, 2022
How to Cite
Ottoman, O., Urassa, S., Elias, E., Bhuko, J., & Isay, A. (2022). Histopathological Evaluation of the Microtomy Artifacts on Haematoxylin and Eosin Section; Hospital Based Cross-Sectional Study. East African Journal of Health and Science, 5(1), 318-325. https://doi.org/10.37284/eajhs.5.1.848