Views of the Kenyan Construction Industry Players Regarding the Impact of Resource Planning and Leveling on Construction Project Performance

  • Shadrack Mutungi Simon Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology
Keywords: Resource Planning, Resource Leveling, Performance, Kenya, Contractors
Share Article:


The successful completion and performance of a construction process is pegged on three basic performance parameters which have evolved to be regarded as the three pillars of any successful construction project. These include finishing the project within budget and schedule without compromising on the desired quality. It is however important to note that these factors are all affected by the level of resource management within the project. Questionnaires were used to collect both quantitative and qualitative data from contractors who were chosen randomly. Out of 106 questionnaires distributed, 81 were received back by the researcher. This represented a response rate of 76%. An overwhelming majority of contractors in the country shared a similar opinion that Resource Planning and Leveling (RP&L) contributes to reduced cost of a project, reduced completion period of a project and improved quality of a project. This means that RP&L generally contributes to the improved performance of construction projects. Qualitative data obtained from open-ended questions were analysed thematically. A total of 97 possible solutions were suggested by respondents as solutions to overcoming challenges associated with RP&L. These solutions were grouped into a number of themes namely: technical (52%); financial, (3%); resource management, (7%); project planning and control, (14%); top management involvement, (7%); communication, (3%) and others, (13%). 98% of the contractors suggested that RP&L was a contributor to project success. The remaining 2% claimed that it could both be a contributor and hindrance depending on how it was carried out. Contractors proposed different ways in which RP&L could contribute to project success. These were also analysed thematically under the following topical areas: scope management (6%); schedule management (28%); cost management (14%); quality management (3%); integration management (1%); stakeholder management (1%); risk management (7%); resource management (23%) and others (16%).


Download data is not yet available.


Atkinson. (1999). Project management: cost, time and quality, two best guesses and a phenomenon, it's time to accept other success criteria. International Journal of Project Management, 17(6), 337–342.

Chan, A. (2001). Framework for measuring success of construction projects, 1–21.

Egan, J. (1998). Rethinking construction: report of the construction task force on the scope for improving the quality and efficiency of UK construction. London.

Griffith, A. (2010). SPSS For Dummies, 2nd Edition (2nd ed.). Indianapolis: Wiley Publishing Inc.

Lamka, A., Githae, W., & Diang’a, S. (2015). Investigation of factors influencing construction site labour productivity in Nairobi County, Kenya. Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology.

Lim, C., & Mohamed, M. (1999). Criteria of Project Success: an exploratory reexamination. International Journal of Project Management, 17(4), 243–248.

Love, P. E. D. (2008). Risk Management Model for International Construction Joint Ventures, 9364(November 2016), 2008.

Masu, S. (2006). An Investigation into the causes and impact of Resource mix practices on the performance of construction firms in Kenya. University of Nairobi.

Saqib, M., Farooqui, R. U., & Lodi, S. H. (2008). Assessment of Critical Success Factors for Construction Projects in Pakistan. First International Conference on Construction In Developing Countries (ICCIDC–I) “Advancing and Integrating Construction Education, Research & Practice,” 392–404.

Shenhar, Levy, & Dvir. (1997). Mapping the Dimensions of Project Success. Project Management Journal, 5–13.

Takim, R., & Akintoye, A. (2002). Performance Indicators for Successful Construction Project Performance. Association of Researchers in Construction Management, 2(September), 2–4.

5 March, 2021
How to Cite
Simon, S. (2021). Views of the Kenyan Construction Industry Players Regarding the Impact of Resource Planning and Leveling on Construction Project Performance. East African Journal of Business and Economics, 3(1), 28-35.